Climate change mitigation and adaption measures
The purpose of the grant is to contribute to climate change mitigation and adaptation at the local level.
Information about the open call
The II open call is being funded from the European Economic Area Financial Mechanism 2014–2021 “Climate Change Mitigation and Adaptation” and has been developed by the Ministry of the Environment of the Republic of Estonia. The budget of the open call is 2,853,000 euros.
Local level climate change mitigation and adaptation activities that are done in public interest and that address some of the issues identified in the local strategic development documents and / or is listed there as an action necessary to meet climate or energy objectives:
- for activities related to renewable energy solutions;
- for the construction of nature-based solutions or combination of nature-based and technological solutions intended to increase biodiversity in cities (as settlement units) and small towns;
- activities related to the mitigation of the heat island effect in cities (as settlement units) and small towns;
- establishment of community gardens and/or demonstration areas on the land or institution building used by the local government for the purposes of environmental and climate education;
- to establish and/or promote the use of rainwater recovery systems.
Who can apply?
Bodies registered in the Republic of Estonia:
- a local municipality or a body administered by it;
- association of the local municipalities;
- public authority.
How big is the grant?
- The minimum grant amount per application is EUR 200 000 and the maximum grant amount is EUR 1 000 000.
- The maximum grant rate is 85% of the eligible costs.
- Own contribution shall amount to at least 15% of the eligible costs. Own contribution shall be earmarked for the implementation of the project.
How can you apply?
The call is in preparation. Applications can be submitted via E-toetus system once the call has been opened. Estimated opening time – 18th of April 2022.
The application process is in Estonian. More detailed materials, instructions and information can be found here, in Estonian, on the EIC’s homepage.
European Economic Area Grants 2014-2021
According to the European Economic Area (EEA) enlargement agreement, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway will fund, in compliance to their size and economic wealth, 15 European countries through the EEA grant financial mechanism in total with 1,548 billion euros, from which Norway contributes 95,8%, Iceland 3% and Liechtenstein 1,2%.
During the EEA grants period, different Programmes will be financed in countries such as Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech, Cyprus, Estonia, Greece, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Malta, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia and Slovenia.
The objective of the programme is to contribute to the reduction of economic and social disparities in the European Economic Area and to contribute to the strengthening of bilateral relations between Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway and the beneficiary states.
During the period 2014-2021, Estonia receives 32,3 million euros as a grant from Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein, from which 6 million euros will be implemented directly through environment and climate projects.