New bicycle parking area and car park in Saue makes life easier for train riders

31. August 2016 | 10:59

Today, on 30 August, at 12.00, the first bicycle parking area and car park will be festively opened in Saue, improving the quality of the connection between the railway and other modes of transport. The total cost of the project is EUR 289,548, 79% of which was funded through the EIC from the Cohesion Fund, with the remaining 21% added by the town of Saue. This completed project is the first one out of thirty similar projects beings supported by the state via the EIC.

In the course of the project a car park with 39 spaces and a bicycle parking area with 20 spaces were built together, along with the adjoining bicycle and pedestrian tracks and access roads. Both parking areas are secured with high-resolution surveillance cameras monitored in real time.

The bicycle parking area also has five innovative smart bike racks, which can be used by calling a free number.

“There has been a long-standing need for a new and bigger park and travel parking area, since the older parking area is constantly overloaded with cars, and the people of the town and the neighbouring rural municipality began to use the car park belonging to the adjoining shop. I am quite pleased that people have started to think more rationally and at the same time in a more environmentally friendly manner,” said Harry Pajundi, the Mayor of Saue.

Construction of the road, along with general building and electrical works, was carried out by Verston Ehitus OÜ, while the bicycle parking area was built and the surveillance system installed by Bikeep OÜ. SKP Ehitus- ja Õigusbüroo OÜ exercised owner supervision.

In addition, another two real-time information screens with train timetables are to be installed within the framework of the project: one on the platform and the other at the end of the paved section of road leading to the former railway station.

Photos: New car park and bicycle parking area built next to the Saue railway station. Photos taken by Sirje Piirsoo.

Background information:

EIC received 44 grant applications, totalling about EUR 19 million, to link railway stops to other types of local transport. Local self-governments intersected by a railway were eligible to apply for support.

Overall, EIC will contribute EUR 13 million to link railway stops to other modes of transport, which will be supplemented by contributions from rural municipalities. The grant was allocated between 30 projects, which can be viewed HERE. A majority of the projects will be implemented already in 2016. All projects must be completed by 2023, at the latest.

Support is intended for the construction or repairing of cycle and pedestrian tracks, access roads, car parks and bicycle parking areas, and bus stops near railway stops. Furthermore, it targets the reconstruction of railway stop buildings designated for servicing passengers and the installation of information screens displaying real-time timetables at stops.

The support measure was developed by the Ministry of Economic Affairs and Communications.